Great news coming out of Queens Park (actually announced at the Horseshoe Tavern)!
The Honorable Michael Chan, Minister of Tourism, Culture, and Sport announced yesterday that the Ontario government is developing a live music strategy that will “strengthen the province’s position as a global leader for live music”.
Alongside the Ontario government, the group creating and implementing this strategy will include representatives from the music industry, the Ontario Media Development Corporation, the Ontario Arts Council, and the Ontario Tourism Marketing Partnership.
Live Music Strategy
The announcement comes as part of Premier McGuinty’s plan to boost the economy and create jobs. The focus of the live music strategy will be to (taken from the Ontario Government website):
- Promote Ontario’s live music sector to boost concert attendance, visitor spending and economic impact
- Develop a co-ordinated live music marketing and promotions plan
- Leverage existing resources
- Create opportunities to promote music through measures such as new online resources
- Position Ontario as a premier global destination for live music and music tourism through the province’s international marketing initiatives.
It’s yet to be announced HOW exactly this group plans on achieving these goals, but hey, any focus put on promoting the wonderful music coming out of this province is a bonus!
Keep an eye on Music Ontario as they’ll be playing role in the strategy and will undoubtedly keep us updated.